Coconut Oil: The Super-food that Benefits your Health, Inside and Out
You probably know that coconuts are good for you. But the extent to which coconut oil benefits the whole body is fast becoming a well-know fact.
Scientists are finally catching up with what many have known for generations: coconut oil is good for you, both inside and out.
It has been proven in 100’s of studies that this amazing fruit is actually one of the healthiest foods on the planet! (1)
Coconut Oil is over 90% saturated fat, mostly consisting of what are known as “Medium Chain Fatty Acids”, or MCFA’s. These are a perfect fuel for the body, as they are quickly turned into the energy the body needs to function.
MCFA’s have the following advantages over Long Chain Fatty Acids, or LCFA’s:
- immediately converted into energy and not stored as fat
- easier to digest
The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
The benefits of coconut oil are endless, and, as with most products, the purer it is , the better it will be. The benefits of virgin coconut oil will outweigh those of less expensive varieties.
Most all “virgin coconut oils” start out by using fresh coconut meat instead of dried coconut. (2)
Researchers agree that coconut oil is beneficial in the following ways: (3)(7)(8)
1) Cancer- Coconut oil has been shown to help fight cancer, mainly because of the ketones produced by the liver during its digestion. Tumours thrive on glucose and cannot access ketones for the energy they need.
2) Alzheimer’s and brain function- In Alzheimer’s, the brain cells are starved of energy as they are unable to produce insulin any longer. Ketones produced in coconut oil digestion supply energy to the brain, fuelling brain cells more effectively even in healthy brains.
3) Lowers Cholesterol- Coconut oil may increase the healthy blood cholesterol and convert bad cholesterol into good.
4) Heart Disease- Coconut oil may prevent heart disease.
5) Anti- inflammatory and Arthritis- The high levels of anti-oxidants in virgin coconut oil give it anti-inflammatory properties.
6) Infection- Virgin coconut oil works as an antibiotic and may be effective against infections of the urinary tract, liver and kidneys.
7) Weight Loss and Obesity- Coconut oil may also be beneficial in weight problems as it speeds up the breakdown of needless fat, especially belly fat. Drinking coconut oil is a popular method of curbing the appetite when dieting. (4)
8) Helps Digestion and Can Prevent Ulcers- Coconut oil destroys bad bacteria and candida, and also helps the body absorb vital vitamins and minerals.
9) Type 2 Diabetes- MCFA’s in coconut oil can help prevent resistance to insulin.
10) Hormonal Balance- A good virgin coconut oil can help balance hormones, particularly in women.
And those are just a few of the health benefits. Coconut oil is also beneficial to us on the outside..here’s how!
Coconut Oil Benefits For the Skin
1) Therapeutic- Not only does coconut oil smell delicious, it can help many conditions such as eczema, skin burns, dry scalp, dermatitis and psoriasis.
2) Moisuriser- It is also great as a moisturizer and is the only one you will ever need. It leaves no residue on the skin and leaves it feeling smooth and nourished.
3) Anti-Aging- Coconut oil has been proven to be good for the face and the skin in general. It slows down the aging of the skin by reducing liver stress and lowering the oxidative process.
(4) Cleansing- Coconut oil is an excellent grease-cutter and removes all types of make-up with gentle rubbing. (5)
Coconut Oil Treatment for the Hair
Coconut oil may be the best conditioner on the market! Not only do the fatty acids it contains nourish and moisturise the scalp, they also penetrate the follicles, getting rid of frizz, dandruff and even preventing lice.
Its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties may also treat follicle infections that cause hair loss. (6)
Which is the best Coconut Oil to buy?
So now you know why to use it, you just need to know how to buy it.
As I already mentioned, Virgin coconut oil is the best, but there is more to it than that. Extra-Virgin does not really exist, even if it’s called that, as these terms are not yet registered for coconut oil as they are for olive oil. There really is no difference.
The best virgin coconut oil is that derived through a wet-milling process, where the oil is extracted from fresh coconut meat without drying it first. The oil is then separated from the water by either boiling, fermentation, refrigeration or enzymes.(9)
What about Organic Coconut Oil?
If this is your next question, you may be pleasantly surprised. All coconuts are more or less organic, as there are no GMO varieties, and there are very few pesticides used on coconut trees. Basically, they are just too high up to be sprayed, though some may be sprayed around the roots. (9)
So in conclusion, the best to buy is wet-mill fermented heated virgin coconut oil. It is unlikely to be written on any of the labels so go online and do some research, speak to the vendors directly, so you can make an informed decision before making your purchase.
If you are a member of our clinic and interested in Our Weight Loss Program or would like to know more about different foods and how they interact with the body, just let Wayne know at your next consultation.
For those who are not members of the clinic there are 3 ways you can respond . . .
1. I’m unsure and would like to know more about our Weight Loss Program.
2. I have other health challenges and tiredness is just one of them. I’m still uncertain and would like more information about your complete Wellness Program! . . .
3. I’m pro-active about losing excess fat, I want to by book now and I realise the consultation is normally valued at $300.00 and if I act NOW I will receive the consultation for ONLY $197.
To find out more, and to learn if mitochondrial issues are causing you to have chronic fatigue and or tiredness, you can book a naturopathic consultation with Dr. Wayne Pickstone (Dr. of Chinese Medicine) at the Unique Health and Wellness Centre TODAY! >> Normally valued at $300.00 for ONLY $197
Until next time,
Yours in Health
From the Team at Unique Health and Wellness
- Disclaimer The information provided does not take into account individual needs of any particular person. When providing this information it is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research. The information provided should not be construed as personal medical advice or instruction and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. We encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.
(3) authoritynutrition.com/to p-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil